birding-aus

Preliminary Notice NSW & ACT 2005 Twitchathon

To: <>
Subject: Preliminary Notice NSW & ACT 2005 Twitchathon
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:31:45 +1000
NSW and ACT Twitchathon 2005

Proceeds to go to the Environmental Education Programme for the Birds Australia Gluepot Reserve in the Murray Mallee

This year Gluepot Reserve near Waikerie in South Australia will be the recipient of our fund raising conservation efforts, specifically, to provide facilities and equipment for the new Environment Educational Programme .

Gluepot Reserve is Australia's largest community owned and managed conservation reserve. Situated 64 km from the River Murray in South Australia's Riverland, the Reserve is managed and operated entirely by volunteers. Some 54,390 ha in size, it is home to 18 nationally threatened species of birds, 53 species of reptiles and 12 species of bats. There are few areas in the world which support such a concentration of threatened species.

By successfully combining the elements of biodiversity conservation and land management, scientific research and monitoring and sustainable eco-tourism, Gluepot Reserve has taken conservation management into a new era. The Reserve is developing an international "model" to show that sustainable use of the landscape is both feasible and desirable. A highly successful program of this size and complexity is unique in Australian land management and serves to increase awareness of the environmental issues surrounding this highly endangered area of Australian Wilderness.

Many people from NSW have been to Gluepot Reserve to see its rarities such as Black-eared Miners, Striated Grass-wrens, White-browed Treecreepers & Red-lored Whistlers, while some have been there as part of the Volunteer Ranger Program.

This Twitchathon Project will provide vital facilities for the fourth crucial "element" in the Reserve's long-term Plan of Management - the provision of Environmental Education

Twitchathon funds will be used to help establish the Environmental Education Programme at Gluepot Reserve through the purchase of a limited amount of building material (particularly building insulation) and in particular, audio visual equipment such as 35 mm projector; overhead projector, data projector and laptop (for Power Point presentations); screen; desks and chairs; binoculars and identification books; course material etc.

How to join the Twitchathon 2005
October 29-30

1.        Contact Alan Morris for your 2005 Twitchathon Kit

2. Form a team with one or even a dozen friends and family and go birdwatching over this October weekend. You can travel anywhere in NSW and/or the ACT. See how many species of birds your team can find from 3 pm Saturday 29 October to 4 pm Sunday 30 October 2005. Note the new starting and finishing time as trialled in 2004.

3. Get sponsors. In the weeks before this event, persuade family and friends to sponsor you so many cents or even dollars for each species your team sees. You just need either lots of little sponsorships or a few big ones!

There are prizes for the most species seen by three winning teams as well as prizes for the most money raised, the rarest bird seen by an individual, and prizes for children. Trophies, two weekend cottage stays (one donated by Henry & Katharine Nix - on the South Coast, the other by Oskar Feichtinger- in the Capertee Valley), binoculars (Gerber 8x42 Avian Binoculars donated by The Binocular & Telescope Shop. Sydney), books, book vouchers, champagne, wine and other prizes to go to the winners in the various categories of the Twitchathon. Contact Alan for a full list.

So don't think that you have to be an A class birdwatcher to take part. Whichever method you chose for your Twitchathon - the laid back (ie the Champagne Race), the deadly serious, or the donor only version, remember it is all about educating others into the importance of nature conservation, particularly the conservation of Australian birds.

Last year we raised $10,500, the year before $13548! In the past five years we have raised over $55,000. This is a great achievement and we have been able to make a significant difference for the birds in the Capertee Valley, the Murray Valley, the Cowra District & Newhaven Station (NT). I know that you will join me in making a fantastic contribution one way or another. So, do ask me for your Twitchathon Kit TODAY or sponsor a Twitchathon team in your bird club or group! I can put you in touch with a team if you do not know of one in your area!

Alan Morris

Twitchathon Co-ordinator

(For Birds Australia, Southern NSW & ACT)

c/- 3 Murray St Bateau Bay NSW 2261

Telephone: 02 43 342776

Fax: 02 9436 0466

Email