birding-aus

NSW - Greystanes, Nelson's Ridge and Prospect - 1st October 2007

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Greystanes, Nelson's Ridge and Prospect - 1st October 2007
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:09:35 +1000
I spent a few hours this morning (1st October 2007) checking out a few of my
local spots as follows:

HYLAND RD, GREYSTANES - 2 Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoos constantly chasing each
other, a few Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, lots of Bar-shouldered Doves,
Double-barred Finches, a juv. Brown Goshawk etc

GIPPS RD RESERVE, GREYSTANES - saw my first Rufous Fantail for the season,
several Brown Gerygones (not sure if they are either late as winter migrants
or are taking up residence in the rainforest like habitat there), a Rufous
Songlark, more Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoos, Rufous Whistlers, Fan-tailed
Cuckoo, Striated Pardalote (red-tipped form) and mid-air collision by 3
birds involved (a Dusky Woodswallow, Eastern Yellow Robin and White-plumed
Honeyeater). It looks like a good spot for Oriental Cuckoos later in the
year which has been previously recorded close to this area.

NELSONS RIDGE (a new suburb next to Greystanes and Prospect) - saw here an
adult Brown Goshawk, Pallid Cuckoo, a Royal Spoonbill and a few Hardheads
amongst other common waterbirds in the newly created wetlands. The
information display says to look out for Australasian Bitterns in this
wetland (I think someone has told me they have been recorded in the area
before and I'm not surprised if that is the case). It certainly looks good
for Bitterns and other secretive birds provided no one dumps their "Donald
Ducks" in this wetland. I'll keep my eyes open here for Bitterns over coming
months.

RESERVOIR RD, PRSOPECT - a few more Rufous Songlarks present between the
Prospect Reservoir entrance and the Cricketers Arms Hotel.

PROSPECT RESERVOIR - I spent no more than half an hour at as the winds
picked up and I had other things to do at home but did see 16 Whiskered
Terns, 3 Whistling Kites, a few Great Crested Grebes, another Brown Goshawk
(they seem to be everywhere this morning) and heard Scarlet Honeyeater.
There were hardly any waterbirds in sight (probably all shielding against
the wind somewhere).

Edwin Vella