birding-aus

Amazing birding experiences - honeyeater migration

To: <>
Subject: Amazing birding experiences - honeyeater migration
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 09:34:57 +1000
In a message to Birding-Aus on 4/5/08, Paul Dodd wrote of the Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeater migration on the south coast of Victoria: "This really should be one of those 'must-do' experiences for birders, I think. It is absolutely incredible to see these birds in such numbers - and to see them in such a continuous stream."

Indeed it is! This year in Katoomba, NSW, the migration has been happening steadily but numbers have been relatively low. On many days I've had flocks of 50 or so going over my house every few minutes throughout the morning hours, but none of the really phenomenal days that I've had in some years (e.g. autumn 2006 when I estimated up to 7500 birds per hour flying over my house).

What is interesting is that many of the honeyeaters seem to be flying west this year, rather than a purely northwards movement. Perhaps an indication that this will be a good inland year here in central-eastern NSW. The growing honeyeater activity in the Capertee Valley at the moment backs this up.

Cheers,

Carol

--
Carol Probets