birding-aus

VIC Twitchathon Results 2008

To: <>, <>, <>, "Fiona Parkin" <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: VIC Twitchathon Results 2008
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:06:35 +1100
Hey bird fans,

This year we had record 14 teams participating in 25th anniversary of Birds
Australia's Victorian Twitchathon. There were eight 24 hr teams (including 3
school teams) and six 8 hr teams. The (preliminary) results are:

. 24 HR RACE: was won by the TWITCHING BIG EYES (191). Great result! The Robin
Rednecks and Common Loadmouths were close behind snapping at their tail
feathers.

. 8 HR RACE: won by my team, the 7 YEAR TWITCHERS (154), just 2 short of the
all-time 8hr record. (Fiona and I were happy with that.)

. BEST BIRDS: Grey Falcon! Seen near Mount Hope (east of Pyramid Hill). This is
possibly the best bird for any Twitchathon competition ever held! Well done.
Ticks all round!

. WORST DIP: nominated by 3 teams, Rock Dove, and Silver Gull by 1 team. Again,
well done.

THE 24 HR RACE RESULTS

1st   Twitching Big Eyes (191)
      Steve Davidson, Andrew Hurnard, Alex Farias
      Best Bird: Brown Gerygone
      Worst Dip: specifically targeted Sooty Owl and dipped.

2nd   Robin Rednecks (185) (Great score, well done, considering slow finish)
      Matt Weeks, Mick Ramsey
      Best Bird: Budgerigar / Red-backed Kingfisher
      Worst Dip: White-browed Babbler

3rd   Common Loadmouths  (176)
      Philip Jackson, Greg Hunt, Frank Mitchell, Paul Kelly,
      Russell Thomson, Max Arney
      Best Bird: Slender-billed Thornbill, Shy & Chestnut-rumped Heathwren
      Worst Dip: Black-shouldered Kite

4th   Ruddy Bustards (160)
      Grant Palmer, Matt Gibson, Gavin Thomas, James Fitzsimons
      Best Bird: Cockatiel
      Worst Dip: Grey Butcherbird

5th   Feisty Fledglings (97)
      Marcus Salton, Clare McCutcheon, Holly Lourie.
      Best Bird: Wedge-tailed Eagle
      Worst Dip: Silvereye

6th   Cryptic Curlews (school team)  (52 definite)
      Alex Swann, Nick Adam, Sue Mason (Teacher)
      Best Bird: Nankeen Kestrel
      Worst Dip: Rock Dove

7th   Brush Turkeys (school team) (40 definite)
      James Moore, Adam Hollier, Joanne Lim, John Renowden (Teacher)
      Best Bird: Nankeen Night Heron
      Worst Dip: Rock Dove

8th   Treedom Duck Fighters (school team) (34 definite)
      Mardi Grivas, Mallory Le Sueur, Jordan Hollett,
      Olivia Burton, Nathan Kuhlwind
      Best Bird: Superb Fairy-wren
      Worst Dip: Silver Gull

Please note that the school team counted only 'definite' sightings - making
doubly sure about every identification. Great work, and thanks John Renowden
for working with me to make this thing happen.

THE 8 HR RACE RESULTS

1st   Seven Year Twitcher (153)
      Tim Dolby, Fiona Parkin
      Best bird: Common Tern
      Worst dip: Great Egret

2nd   Norwegian Blues (142) (great race, a record score for this team)
      Jack Krohn, George Pergaminelis
      Best bird: Wandering Whistling-duck
      Worst dip: Nankeen Kestrel

3rd   136 - Yarrawalla Yahoos (136)
      Simon Starr, Alexandra Starr, Rosie Starr, Arran Starr
      Best bird: Grey Falcon
      Worst dip: Goldfinch

4th   Pale-headed Old Fellas (125)
      Stuart Dashper, John Harris, & car bound guest Greg Oakley
      Best bird: Great Knot
      Worst dip: Rock Dove

5th   Gang-gang Gang (121)
      Paul Dodd, Ruth Woodrow
      Best bird: Wood Sandpiper
      Worst dip: Crested Tern

6th   Big Dippers (87)
      Frank Hirst, Nick Dudley, Susan Taylor
      Best bird: Pilotbird (& Striated Fieldwren, seen seconds after race
finished and
                 a life tick)
      Worst dip: any raptor smaller that a Wedgie!

Thanks to the Australian Bird Fair (held in Leeton next week, see
http://australianbirdfair.org.au/ good luck with it), and of course the
wonderful Andrew Isles Natural History Books (http://www.andrewisles.com/) for
suppling the major prizes for the thon.

Also, up until a few days before the race, I'd planned to race in the 24 hr
race, but unfortunately a team members inconsiderately broke his leg. Then our
replacement team member visited her doctor just before the race with news that
she needed a knee reconstruction!

BIG thanks everyone for participating in the 2008 Great Victorian Twitchathon.
Contact me if you have any questions, and see you next year.

Tim

Tim Dolby
VIC Twitchathon Coordinator
Birds Australia (Victoria)