birding-aus

Digital SLR for bird photography

To: 'David Stowe' <>
Subject: Digital SLR for bird photography
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:49:42 +1100
David Stowe wrote on Wednesday, 10 December 2008 7:46 AM:

> In the old days of film and manual focus only cameras
> focussing screens were fantastic and had split prisms etc to
> ensure you were getting what you wanted in focus. Since the
> advent of auto focus teh focussing screens are designed to
> help the AF system not the user.
> This i think is the single biggest reason why manually
> focussing modern cameras is quite difficult.

I didn't know that.  I assume the optical screens on DSLRs are much better that
the approx 100k pixel electronic viewfinder on my Canon S3, but perhaps not so
much better as I thought.  Are there particular brands and models that have
better focusing screens than the rest?

Given the number of occasions that the bird is behind twigs or leaves, I would
have thought that the quality of manual focusing was essential, yet it doesn't
seem to be discussed that often.

Peter Shute==============================www.birding-aus.org
birding-aus.blogspot.com

To unsubscribe from this mailing list,