birding-aus

Copyright and licenses

Subject: Copyright and licenses
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:38:31 +1100
Good morning all,

First of all I'd like to agree wholeheartedly with Russell Woodford's comments
on copyright, as an owner of one of the biggest collection of wildlife pictures
and sound combined in Australia.

Having read all these comments about sources of bird sound I feel I can't
remain silent any longer.

On my website www.graemechapman.com.au there are nearly 200 species of
Australian birds (mainly songbirds - the interesting ones!) represented in my
sound section (look under Resources - Index of birds in my library with
recordings of bird calls). Many species have several examples and have an
associated text as well - try starting at Crested Bellbird, you might even
learn something. In all there is about 4 hours of sound, and counting!
Selecting, editing and adding sound to the website involves an enormous amount
of work, that's why I'm only about half way through my sound collection. A few
of these clips have been published before in the BOC collection - otherwise
they are all published here for the first time and all recorded by me over a
period of 50 years.

 Why do I do it? I want it to be freely and easily available to everyone and
not just die with me. If you hear any errors or have any suggestions I would
welcome the feedback, so long as it doesn't mean more work!

Regards

Graeme Chapman