birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 29 Apr 2013 01:31:12 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 28 Apr 2013.

Mon 22 Apr Franklin's Gull Cevantes, Western Australia
Photographed this bird at Cervantes in car park this morning.
Peter Strauss

Sun 21 Apr Double-banded Plover Augusta Beach at approximately -34.325505,115.174184, Western Australia
Walking along beach and saw the DBP associating with Red-capped Plovers. After watching it for a while, we realised that, unlike in Sydney, this is a rather rare bird in WA. Relocated and photographed on the morning of the 22nd. Also 28 Sanderling.
Joshua Bergmark and Max Breckenridge

Letter-winged Kite Hume Highway near Kilmore/Broadford exit, Victoria
Excellent view of underwing as it swooped.(Moderator's note: the observer has provided an excellent description of the bird as they were stationary at the time stuck in a traffic jam!, It would still be great though to have another observer confirm the sighting as well. The bird was seen over the median strip between the highway lanes, MR).
Christina Cheers

Sat 20 Apr Long-tailed Koel (Eudynamys taitensis) Morris Creek Road SE 1' Cell, Queensland
Survey of wetlands to east of Morris Creek Road, slightly difficult because of tall grass growth now. Only birds in closest water and along edge able to be seen. wetlands drying. Grasslands surrounding the wetlands and nearby small patch of woodland viewed from road. I had a brief and frustrating sighting of a suspected Long-tailed Koel near the woodlands (sitting on a farm gate). The principal evidence was its extremely long and thin tail (longer than the body) and its much slimmer profile than either female Coucal or Koel. I did consider female Eastern Koel but the striped head was not right for the Koel as well as vertical stripes on the breast. It was generally much duller overall than female Eastern Koels. However, as the time I had to look at it was so limited I have to retain some uncertainty despite my confidence. I reviewed the identification at the site with my field guide (in the vehicle with me). Unfortunately I was by myself. I thought the relatively short sighting and lack of corroboration (photo or second observer) would mitigate against a BARC report so have not considered it but I feel a heads up to NQ birders would be worthwhile as if it is a Long-tailed Koel then it is likely to be heading north! Long-tailed Koel (1) see notes in (Full List) for more detail about this possible sighting. [Thanks for the report Peter - it would be great to get a confirmation report. TD]
Peter Valentine

Wed 17 Apr Saunders's Tern South Island, Cocos Keeling Islands
With Ash James. This is a late sighting for these birds, which normally leave by the end of March. Terns nearly in breeding plumage; both with dark-tipped yellow bills and one with a very dark head. One tern seen hovering with rapid flight, then dropping down to catch small fish near shore.
Val La May

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and hosted by Eremaea Birds.