birding-aus

Five Robins

To: "'Allan Richardson'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Five Robins
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:30:09 +1100
Hi Allan,

I've noticed the opposite in my study areas between Woomargama & Tarcutta in
the last 6.5 years. Scarlet Robins were more common than Flames at the start
of the surveys, but seemed to have declined significantly in the last couple
of years. Flames seem to have built up in numbers in the last couple of
years, whereas they were seen quite rarely at the start of surveys.  I was
wondering if Flames were in lower numbers in my survey areas earlier on
because of drought conditions, but migrated back in bigger numbers in winter
in the last couple of years because the drought is over. But I could be
wrong.

Many of my survey areas are in roadside woodland areas, others are
travelling stock reserves or small woodland patches on farmland. My guess is
that roadside woodland corridors are important for migrating Flames and
dispersal of Scarlets.  In May 2012 I observed a flock of at least 30 Flame
Robins moving along one woodland corridor adjacent to the Woomargama Bypass
(Hume Highway), which I assumed was a migrating flock.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW