birding-aus

Vanuatu

To: Tom Tarrant <>
Subject: Vanuatu
From: Stephen Gibb <>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:56:43 +1000
Hello Tom and Trevor,

Glad you can go to Vanuatu and hope you get some great birds.  I lived in Vila for 7 years from 2008-2014.  While birding was not prolific it could be profitable in a couple places which I will mention below.  On the topic of guides, I am not aware of any.  However, any taxi driver will be happy to take you to the places below.  And my apologies that my information may not be 100% accurate as I have not been back since 2018.

My favourite spot was the Team Prawn Farm.  It’s out of town but easily accessible by “bus” (mini van) or taxi.  I believe it is still managed by a very nice Filipino man named Ram.  We know each other well, and I see from Ebird people are still listing there.  On a recent list someone listed the Peregrine and noted it was chasing a Pacific Black Duck.  Oddly enough I saw the same thing in 2014!  Must be a favourite hunting spot for the  Peregrine.

Keep your eyes on Vila Harbour at all times.  I once spoiled a Valentines date with my wife when 7 White Tailed Tropic Birds showed up out by Irririki Island.  Our marriage survived  but my reputation has never recovered!

A trip around Efate Island out of Vila is well worth it.  The driver will be happy to pull up to stop at any place you want. Check beaches, grassy verges, all fruiting fig trees and you should come up with quite a few.

My best birding experience every happened on a boat trip from Vila to Malekula where in the morning I awoke to (maybe) the entire migration of Short Tailed Shearwaters that continued to fly past the island I was on for four days night and day never stopping.  There were millions.

If you make it to Santo, I think the best bet for the King Fisher was always the power lines heading out to Matevulu College.

Make sure you check Ebird (https://ebird.org/region/VU?yr=all).  Lots of helpful information there.

If you have any further questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.

Kind regards,

Steve