Ron van der Meyden
School of Computer Science and Engineering,
University of New South Wales
email: last word of my name, at cse.unsw.edu.au
phone: +61 2 9385 6922
fax: +61 2 9385 5995
Office Location: K17 room 217G,
at grid reference K17 on the UNSW Kensington map.
MCK a model checker for the logic of knowledge
- UTS Large Internal Research Grant 1996: Computational Analysis of
Knowledge Theory for Distributed Systems Design and Analysis
- ARC Large Grant 1997-1999: Knowledge-Based Programming of
Distributed Systems: From Specification to Implementation
- UTS Internal Research Grant, 1998: Logics of Belief for
Cryptographic Protocol Analysis
- ARC Large Grant 2000-2002: Proof Theory for Extensions of
Temporal Logic (with Mark Reynolds, Murdoch).
- ARC Small Grant 2000: Compositional Abstraction for model
checking distributed systems designs using the logic of knowledge and
time. (with Kai Engelhardt)
- ARC Discovery Grant 2001-2003: Model Checking Logics of Knowledge and Belief
- ARC Discovery Grant 2004-2007: Refinement of Temporal and Epistemic Specifications
in Aysnchronous Systems (with Kai Engelhardt)
- ARC Linkage grant 2008-2010: Model Checking Knowledge and Probability in Pursuit-Evasion Scenarios (with Defence R & D Canada)
- US Air Force, Asia Office of Research and Development grant
2009/10: Security Protocol Optimization and Verification by Epistemic
- ARC Discovery Grant 2010-2012, A formal foundation for security architecture (with Kai Engelhardt)
- ARC Discovery Grant 2012-2014, Symbolic synthesis of knowledge-based program implementations (with Kaile Su)
Research Centre Involvement
As Chair (2001-2003) of the Research Committee, School of Computer Science and
Engineering, UNSW, I was a member of the teams (comprising multiple university,
government and industry partners) that constructed successful bids for two major research centres:
I have also played a role in the Baker & McKenzie
Cyberspace Law and Policy Centre @ UNSW, a research centre in the Law School at UNSW,
as external representative on their management committee.
- Smart Internet CRC,
which was awarded $22M of Federal funding in 2001, matched by partner cash and kind contributions
to make up over $100M over 7 years. I was program leader of the CRC's Smart Personal Assistant
research program for the first year of operation of the centre.
- National ICT Australia, which
was awarded $129M of Federal funding for 2002-2006 (since topped up
with $250M for 2006-2011). I held the role of Program Leader of the
NICTA Formal Methods program from NICTA's inception in 2002 to taking
sabbatical leave July 2006-July 2007. All programs were closed in a
NICTA restructure in 2007. Information about the former program's
activities is available here and from
the following web pages:
- CLIMA 2010, 11th Int. Workshop on Computational Logic in Multi-Agent Systems,
Lisbon, Aug 2010.
- DEON'02, Sixth International Workshop on
Deontic Logic in Computer Science, Imperial College, London, UK, May, 2002
- combined 10th international symposium on "Temporal Representation
and Reasoning" and 4th International Conference on Temporal Logic
(TIME-ICTL-2003), Cairns, Queensland, Australia July 8-10, 2003.
- Agentlink/Colognet Symposium on Logic-based Agent Verification, Liverpool, July 2004
- Workshop on Games and Knowledge, Liverpool, July 2004
- First Indian Conference on Logic and its relationship to other disciplines,
Mumbai, India, Jan 8-13, 2005.
Program Committee Memberships & Editorial
Past PC memberships
- IEEE Symp on Logic in Computer Science, 2013, PC Member.
- Formal Aspects of Security and Trust, FAST 2011, PC member.
- Handbook of deontic logic and normative systems
(editor, with Dov Gabbay, John Horty, Leon van der Torre)
- Journal of Applied Logic, special issue on DEON'08 (editor, with Leon van der Torre)
- Workshop on Model Checking and Artificial Intelligence, MoChArt 2010 (co-chair).
- Formal Aspects of Security and Trust, FAST 2010, PC member.
- Theoretical Aspects of Knowledge and Rationality, TARK 2011, PC member.
Conference and Workshop Organisation
- Tutorial Day on Logic of Knowledge, Aug, 1997
- Workshop on Logic in Computer Science, Dec, 1998
- Dagstuhl Workshop on Logics for Emerging Applications of Databases, July 2000
- National ICT Australia, Inaugural Formal Methods Program
Workshop, May 29-31, 2003
Summer School Courses
Research Students, Postdocs
- Xiaowei Huang, postdoc
- Cheng Luo, PhD student
- Umberto Bonollo
(Ph.D. student, University of Melbourne, cosupervisor with Liz
Former Students, Postdocs
- Omar I. Al Bataineh, Masters by research
- Chenyi Zhang, PhD & Postdoc
- Manas Patra, Phd
- Peng Gao, Masters by Research
- Kai Engelhardt, Postdoc
- Kaile Su, Zhongshan University, China, Aug 2001-Aug 2002, Postdoc
- Kai Baukus, Jul 2003 - Jul 2004, Postdoc